Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tipping Fast Food Employees


 

Once again I got that look of shock and great gratitude, topped off with a smile.  All I had to do was give the person that waited on me at Jack in the Box a dollar.  A simple dollar worth all that. 

This act originally occurred to me when I put 50 cents in the Starbucks tip cup.  (I used to give them a dollar, until I realized what a large percentage that was for a tip.  I then wondered what it is that this person does, that a fast food person doesn’t do that they don’t warrant a tip from most people.  It doesn’t make sense to me, frankly.  So, I’ve changed that.  But this is not about me.  It is about bringing joy to the recipient at the fast food restaurant.

Think about it.  These folks work hard and are generally paid a very minimum wage, if not the minimum wage.  They are probably in need of money, or they wouldn’t be working.  They are probably unskilled, possibly working the only job that they are qualified for, or can get, though I am certain many are also on a targeted career path, but they need money too.  Who knows why they are actually working…but probably the basics, to meet their living expenses, whether it be to feed their kids, make up the difference between their social security income and the rest of their living expenses. 

Now, there is a chance that you cannot afford to tip the fast food employee, that may be why you’re actually eating there, and if that’s the case, I’m not talking to you. I’m talking to those of you that are grabbing a quick meal today, or drink, on the way from here to there.  With the prices at these restaurants being relatively low, you can probably give them an extra quarter or two.  If so, I sincerely hope that you will.  It will bring them a smile, possibly make their day.  And the smile will make your day.  Please give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment