Thursday, March 14, 2013

Do you believe in luck?


Have you been in a good conversation about luck, lately?  I have a somewhat regular conversation with a very, very dear friend of mine, and we have different  views.  I do believe in luck, or lack of it.  Because frankly, I feel that sometimes I have it in greatness, and sometimes I feel I just don’t and can’t seem to get it, no matter what I do. And yes, I believe it comes and goes in streaks.

For example I felt very lucky when I met my husband.  I felt lucky the day that a complete stranger paid for my parking ticket when my credit card didn’t work.  I feel lucky when I get a string of green lights, as opposed to a string of red lights, when I feel unlucky. (Sometimes it doesn’t take much. J ) If I understand this other point of view correctly, he says that luck is created by the things that we do, that allow the “luck” to occur.  Actually, in some ways I agree.  One can’t win the lottery, if one doesn’t buy a ticket, so in that way, the luck was created by the buyer, but on the other hand, there are lots of buyers, but only one is “lucky enough” to win.

When I think of celebrities, I think that of all of those that are famous, there were thousands of folks that have much talent (musician, talk show host, actor) or have put forth much effort in also trying to become famous, or earn much money in that trade but did not make it.  I think that the luck came in when they were in the right place at the right time.  Or was it their destiny? (That’s another conversation altogether.)

Anyway, I do believe in luck, and given the choice, I’ll take luck every time! Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment